Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Update

Summer seems to have finally arrived and my time in Europe is soon coming to an end. My next event is the Gigathlon on the 10th - 11th July which is in Thun, Switzerland. It's not a traditional skating event but a multi sport even consisting of running, road cycling, mountain biking, swimming and of course skating. I will be competing in a team of five and will just be doing the two skating legs.

Last weekend I didn't race anywhere, the only real big event on was the Le Mans 24 hour race in France. I did get in two good days of training on my skates though. The Germans have their national championships on this weekend so skaters from various clubs around the country made a trip to test out the track beforehand, so there were plenty of people around to skate with. The German National Championships is not open to overseas skaters so I will just be spectating.

After the Gigathlon I will be heading back home to Timaru, New Zealand. I'm really looking forward to seeing my partner, mum, bike and everyone at the club and I hear there are plenty of newbie speed skaters. I will be home for about a month and then head to Haining, China for the skate festival and marathon. Haining will become my training base in preparation for the World Championships.

2 comments:

  1. congratulation to the overall 2nd in the team of five.
    Was it a good event, this gigathlon ?

    regards
    Markus

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Markus
    It was not just a good event but a fantastic one. A really well organized event and I would definitely do it again. Great fun, good course and huge numbers.

    ReplyDelete