Friday, April 16, 2010

WIC Geisingen

Tonight was the opening for the WIC in Geisingen and a chance for the locals to see the new Arena in action. There were a few showcase events on tonight, they didn't count towards the overall WIC points but they gave the spectators a feel for our sport.

The highlight of the night was the DobbinSprint an event similar to F1 qualifying. There is a 30min time slot and in that time each skater has a chance to throw down a flying solo lap time, skaters can go as many times as they want. The top 5 women and top 8 men then qualify for the finals. In the final you only get one shot though, one person on the track at a time and run in reverse order.

In qualifying I done a 15.9 and had a bit of a stumble. The flying lap didn't feel great but I had the fastest qualifying time so I opted not to do another run. By the time the final came along I felt like a zombie. I'm still not sure which time zone I'm in, it's definitely not Europe and not New Zealand time either. My run didn't feel good but I managed to hold on and take the win with a 16.030.

Andrez Munoz was lightning tonight winning with a 14.369.

Racing starts tomorrow at 10am, hopefully the 3am church bells don't wake me up tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment